The Desert and the Nomad

where did the sun go
has it penetrated my skin my eyes
where did the sun go as the wind blows against my tent
has the sand hidden my face

the surface of the dunes shifts
in infinitesimal migrations
crests of suspended yellow swarms
beat against us as we fight to the sandy summits

these are the masters wind and sun and sand

the nomad is a listener a seer or not at all

what a lesson to know you can never win
to know domination is in vain
and indeed vanity must be banished to the dark alcoves of night

i have dined with the nomad
i have listened to his music
i have witnessed his closed eyes smiling

these moments of light will rest within my eye
as the voices of dawn painted by the wind

i shall continue to sit outside
ever more convinced in my choices

the nomad writes directly in the sand
he writes directly in the sky
with her hands writing love on his black body
in silence the songs begin
just as babies cry at the heart of the camps

take up your instrument
and bide your timelessness

No comments:

Post a Comment